Monday, July 4, 2011

Busy Monday: Carter the Crab Softie - "Bits 'n Pieces by Kerry Goulder"

Hi everyone,

Get your copy while it's hot! The latest issue (July/Aug 2011) of Crafts 'n things Magazine is a very special one this month! Not only is my sweet little Carter the Crab pattern available inside, but MY SISTER's awesome Terrarium tutorial is on the FRONT COVER!!! I was so excited for her and thought it was really fun for each of us to have a project in there at the same time!

As the magazine mentioned - spending summer months with my daughter's finding hermit crabs in the Maine waters have been nothing short of fun, relaxing & awe inspiring! What they didn't have room to mention, was how I wish I could bring them back to my days as a young girl crabbing off the docks at my grandparents house (named "PrattsBottom") in Bozman, Maryland. During cold winter months, I long for summer. I have a life long love of of the beach and all things found there.

I was told my grandmother made the best crab cakes - but I couldn't stand the smell or the taste - so I was content to disagree. Eventually my dad warned me that whatever I caught I had to eat (crabbing or fishing). So I got smart! I would wrap my chicken with string, sit on the dock, lower it in and wait for a crab to grab on. As soon as I had one on my line I'd pull him up slowly and carefully, get a really good long look at him, and then quickly shake him off before my dad could see that I had one! lol! They are just so beautiful to look at. Their coloring is exquisite!

I greatly miss those days sitting on the dock in Bozman. A tiny little town, where the peace surrounds you. I made this little Carter the Crab with those memories in mind. Special memories from my youth. The great thing about these little crabs - they don't bite...and even better than that - I don't have to eat any of them! But they are fun to make, and fun to play with!

I hope you enjoy making your Carter the Crab softies with my original pattern! Please let me know if you have any questions putting yours together! Have an awesome day!

1 comments :

Miss Bea said... [Reply]

I tried this and the pieces are so small that it is too hard to turn inside out. The edge gets frayed. Do I have to use a special fabric? Do I enlarge the pieces?

Post a Comment